Friday, December 18, 2009

Poinsettias and Mistletoe - Toxic for pets

Just a quick reminder that poinsettias and mistletoe are toxic if ingested. While most pets will leave them untouched, some will munch them right down to the stem! The most common toxic effect is gastrointestinal irritation, resulting in vomiting and diarrhoea. However, large amounts can be fatal.

It's kind of ironic that plants that represent beauty and romance can be so poisonous, no? Did you know that a homeopathic form of mistletoe is commonly used in the treatment of cancer? There is a very interesting truth I learned in vet school, "the only difference between a drug and a poison is dose." Think about that one for a while!

In the meantime, choose the placement of all your holiday decorations with care. Pet-Proof your seasonal decor and have a wonderful season with all the joy it is intended to bring. And if you do hang some mistletoe be sure to give all your four legged loved ones a big kiss from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dr. Yasson is unable to diagnose specific cases through her blog, but comments about her posts are always welcome! If you would like to discuss your specific case please contact us at and we will be happy to help.